Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mini movie review: Extract

Just knocked off Mike Judge's factory comedy, Extract (as opposed to his office comedy, Office Space).  I don't have much to say about it other than it was not an unworthy expenditure of 90 minutes but I didn't love it.  While I found Office Space to be occasionally brilliant in its skewering of office life, particularly in the first half of the movie, Extract just never quite hits the same notes.  Jason Bateman is as adorable and solid as ever, managing to keep the movie grounded; Kristen Wiig and Mila Kunis manage to be both sexy and a bit off; and David Koechner did a spot-on job as the neighbor from hell.  But Ben Affleck's drug-pushing bartender was the only one whose lines made me laugh - and I can't stand Ben Affleck, so that's pretty amazing.  In sum: terrific cast (also including Beth Grant and J.K. Simmons) but the writing never lives up to their promise.

1 comment:

  1. I wanted so much more from this. Great cast, but it just never came together.

    ReplyDelete