Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summertime Drink Recipes 2008

Wow - is it Wednesday already? I lose track of the days when there isn't any watchable television on (except for BSG which is still going!). I'm mostly done reading my next book-review book; Dracula 2000 is set to record on the DVR tonight (Nathan Fillion! Gerard Butler!); and, speaking of Nathan Fillion, I promise to get the next Firefly recap up by this weekend at the latest.

In the meantime, I thought you might enjoy some new hot-weather drink recipes. This listing is a little different from last year's in that these are all recipes that I haven't tried yet. But they sound super-tasty and are fairly uncomplicated, which is always a plus. Please feel free to leave your own favorite summertime drinks in the comments below - I'd love to see what other people are drinking!
  • Jeanne's Dad's Daiquiris - Combine 1 generous cup of ice, 1/3 cup frozen limeade concentrate, 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1/4 cup amber Barbados rum (gosh - I'd up that, eh?) in a blender. Blend 'til crushed and well-mixed. Serve over a couple more ice cubes with lime wedge garnishes. (Serves 2)
  • Pisco Sour - In a shaker, combine 1 medium egg white, 1.5 oz. Chilean pisco (or Peruvian, I suppose, but I'm biased to Chile), 3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice (or fresh key lime juice), 3/4 oz. simple syrup and a dash of Angostura bitters. Shake well for ten seconds. Fill shaker with ice and shake well for twenty seconds. Strain into chilled glass and top with 3 drops of the bitters. (Serves 1) Food and Wine July 2007
  • Rangoon Rickey - Cut eight 6-inch stalks of lemongrass into 1-inch pieces. In the bottom of a wide-mouthed pitcher, use the handle end of a wooden spoon to crush the lemongrass. Add 18 oz. (about a fifth) of white rum and the juice of 4 squeezed limes, then fill the pitcher three-quarters full with ice. Add ginger ale to taste (but not too much!). Stir briefly, squeeze some lime wedges into the pitcher and serve immediately. (Serves many) Food and Wine
  • Strawberry Margarita Ice Pops - Put 1.25 lb. strawberries (hulled and halved or ... frozen ones!), 1/2 cup white tequila, 1/2 cup superfine granulated sugar and 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice in a blender and blend 'til smooth. Pour into large glass measuring cup through a fine sieve if you want the remaining chunks out. Pour into popsicle molds and add sticks; freeze at least 24 hours. (Makes 8) Gourmet Aug. 2000

Please note: these are not my own recipes and I absolutely do not presume to claim creation-ship. I've given credit where I can but some of these recipes are just on scraps of paper and I didn't note down the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment