Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Titles Nine - #10

Wow: it's been over a year since my last "Titles Nine" post.  What can I have been doing in all that time?  Best not to ask, I guess.  For those of you come late to the party, this series is where I go to my bookcases and pick out nine books to share with you.  Usually it's just nine books sitting there in a row although sometimes there's a theme: cookbooks, comics, Stephen King.  This time there's a theme: books I own and while I'm always intending to read them, I've just never quite gotten around to it.  Yet.
  1. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson - Now, to be honest, I haven't had this one that long and the plan is in place to read it on an upcoming flight.  I figure it's best to read it first before I see the Swedish film - I'm guessing I'm going to like those two versions too much to bother with the American remake.  (Why o why must Americans remake everything?)
  2. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson - I rarely read nonfiction but I find that Bryson keeps the pace moving right along, plus he's pretty funny.  This book is technically Mr. Mouse's but he's willing to share.
  3. Ulysses by James Joyce - No, really, I am going to read this one of these days.  Mr. Mouse and I need to find a cabin in the middle of nowhere and in between hikes and mountain bike rides, I shall drink whiskey and read this book. Yes I said yes I will yes.  Or something like that.
  4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez - My mother will be appalled that I haven't read this yet.  I might have but I don't think so.  I think I tried but kept falling asleep and so probably put it aside from some swords-and-sandals fantasy series.
  5. The Coming of the King by Nikolai Tolstoy - This is another one that I may possibly have read - seeing how it's historical fiction/fantasy with Welsh names and thus right up my alley - but I just don't think so.  Not yet.  Maybe soon as I seem to be on a Welsh mythology kick of late (book review to come soon). 
  6. Contact by Carl Sagan - I have not seen the Jodie Foster vehicle and have no intention of doing so.  This is another one that would be on the mountain cabin/whiskey list.
  7. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Persig - Let's be honest.  I'm never going to read this.  I tried back in high school or maybe college - a long time ago, regardless - because everyone was all, "Ooh, it's so good," and I tried it and was all, "Ack - boring."
  8. Wild Fruits by Henry David Thoreau - Someone gave this to me as a gift ages ago, Thoreau's final and unfinished manuscript whereby he ponders religious and philosophical ideas whilst opining and sketching native North American plantlife.
  9. Collected Poems by George Seferis - I had to read some of these for a study abroad program in Chania, Crete.  Seferis is the national poet of Greece or something and I suppose they're good poems. I struggle with poetry, though.




























No comments:

Post a Comment