Monday, July 9, 2007

Quinoa (or, clearly not a t.v. episode recap)

Sorry for the Deadwoodus-interruptus of late: my Blockbuster Online queue got a little disheveled and now I'm in the middle of BSG Season 2.5 (have you seen the guns on Apollo? Mm-mmm-mmm-mm-mm.). Also, Mr. Mouse is a huge Tour de France fan and since I seem to control the remote 75% of the time, I thought I'd give him first dibs while the race is going. (They're in Flanders today and just passed the coolest castle ever.)

So, then, quinoa (pronounced "keen-wah"). If you're not eating it, you should be. It's a gluten-free, complete protein whole grain from South America - the Incas first grew it over 5,000 years ago - which cooks as quickly as couscous but is much more hearty. You can find it in the health-food section of major grocery stores and it comes in traditional (white) and heirloom (red) varieties. I find the red quinoa takes about five minutes longer to cook than the white. I use it as a side dish in lieu of potatoes, pasta or rice; my sister-in-law mixes it with lentils for a main dish. It's got a nice, mild, slightly nutty taste. Try it - you'll like it! Next on my alternagrain menu: kasha (roasted buckwheat). I'll let you know how it goes.

Oh, I also want to reiterate my profanity disclaimer from my first Deadwood post. My Deadwood recaps contain a lot of really bad language but I wouldn't be able to quote any dialogue if I didn't use the swears. Again, if it's too offensive, please don't read the Deadwood recaps. And, as Bartles & Jaymes were wont to say, thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment