Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Titles Nine - #7

Welcome to the first Titles Nine of 2009! We have a very special edition today: these books are not actually sitting on a bookshelf – they are in freestanding stacks, waiting to be read. Three are from the library; two are on loan; four were gifts; three are Mr. Mouse’s; and six are mine (I think I’m going to have to renew the library ones as I’m clearly not getting to them in an expedient fashion).

  • American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House – Jon Meacham
  • Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do (and What It Says About Us) – Tom Vanderbilt
  • A Dog's Life – Peter Mayle. From the Year In Provence guy.
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World – Vicki Myron. The cover photo: awwwwwwwww!
  • Fiddler's Ghost – Mitch Jayne. My Cuzzin Kathy’s copy – signed by the author and everything.
  • The Hundred Secret Senses – Amy Tan
  • Deadline (A Jack McMorrow Mystery) – Gerry Boyle. Maine author! Maine mill-town murder mystery!
  • Grave Sight – Charlaine Harris. From the author on whose books True Blood is based.
  • American Gods: A Novel – Neil Gaiman. Continuing my quest to determine just how talented Gaiman is.

In non-booked-related news, I have been watching so many House episodes - both FOX and USA are running a lot of them - that I have developed a wicked crush on Hugh Laurie. (I like cranky guys - just ask Mr. Mouse.)


3 comments:

  1. Hi! Friend Mouse Speaks,
    I most definitely, plan to check out "some" if not "all" of the books on your list!

    Friend Mouse Speaks said,"In non-booked-related news, I have been watching so many House episodes - both FOX and USA are running a lot of them -..."

    (The Dame said,"I really "hate" to admit that I have been watching the program "House" too!...because I really don't watch too much television.")

    Friend Mouse Speak said,..."that I have developed a wicked crush on Hugh Laurie. (I like cranky guys - just ask Mr. Mouse.")

    The Dame said, "haha!...."

    The "Dame" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite fond of this feature - I think we're the two people in the clan who willingly and specifically seek out good fantasy/sci fi so I'm always s eager to hear what you're reading/what's on your bookshelf. I have nothing interesting to report on the book front, but I did give Ma "Dragonhaven" as a regift for "Christmas" this year. Also - tomorrow - FNL and Battlestar? It's like the most fabulous thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnnaB - I know! FNL and BSG ... I've been waiting so long! And when Dollhouse starts up in February I won't be able to leave the house on Friday nights.

    I'm afraid that I have not cracked a book in a couple of weeks because of all the House we've been watching. Well, I did just reread Cell (Stephen King) for some light, cheerful, cellphones turning people into cannibalistic zombies literature. I actually get a lot of tips on new scifi/fantasy books from this blogger - http://antickmusings.blogspot.com - he's a prolific reader and used to work in scifi/fantasy publishing. Good recommendations.

    ReplyDelete