Monday, May 4, 2009

What's Shakin' Bacon

Before I went to see Wolverine last Friday I was in need of some sustenance, so I dropped in at Silly's up on Washington Ave. in Portland. I love Silly's: the atmosphere is friendly and funky; the portions are huge; they have The Best French Fries in the city, and also an impressive beer and wine list for such a little place. Usually I get a felafel wrap but this time I had one thing in mind: milkshakes. Specifically their "What's Shakin' Bacon" milkshake. (I also had a salad so shush.)

The milkshake menu is epic - avocado, coconut, key lime pie, cinnamon, molasses, Tang, Guinness - but I'd been thinking about just this one: peanut butter milkshake with a huge tangle of hot, crispy bacon on top. Pure genius. The shake isn't huge, but it is delicious, and the amount of bacon easily outstrips (haha) any side order you will find at any of the local diners. It's a little expensive ($5) but did I mention how much bacon you get?

I felt a little foolish, eating a milkshake topped with bacon, until I saw another one come out of the kitchen, heading for some other lucky patron, and I remembered that when it comes to bacon, nothing's foolish. Plus, as the restaurant's tagline goes, "As far as we can discern, the universe is a very silly place - A. Einstein."

5 comments:

  1. No picture of it? Bummer. Next time we make it him, I may need to take my baconholic girlfriend there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - it didn't last long enough to take a picture! Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I'm convinced. Bacon?! How thick was the shake? Did you eat the whole thing with a spoon? That might work. And what kind of salad was it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shake was thick enough that the straw stood up in it but it was soft and easily slurped down without a spoon. I didn't crumble the bacon into it - too soggy - just ate the bacon off the top and interspersed with sips of the shake. The salad was a Greek salad: spinach and romaine with tons of roasted red peppers, feta, kalamata olives and onion. Good dressing too but I used too heavy a hand and it was a little tart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wife and I want to visit Portland sometime. I need to make Silly's a required tourist stop. I love bacon and she loves milkshakes, sounds like a heavenly place.

    ReplyDelete