Monday, June 8, 2009

Titles Nine - #9 - cookbooks

Yes, it's a long-overdue installment of the riveting FMS series, "Titles Nine," whereby I go to my many bookshelves and pick out nine volumes to share with you, my faithful reader[s]. This time we're browsing the cookbook shelf. I have actually used each of these cookbooks at least once in my culinary tenure but you'd have to ask Mr. Mouse as to the quality of the results.

  • The Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn - with everyday pantry item additions, you too can fancy up an ol' box of cake mix! (I've actually made the Chocolate Covered Cherry Cake several times - mmmmmmmmm)

  • Pasta Harvest by Janet Fletcher - given to me by the Mouse Parents who claim there is not a bad recipe in the lot

  • Leafy Greens by Mark Bittman - lots of different ways to eat lots of different kinds of leafy greens

  • Dishing Up Maine by Brooke Dojny - another one from the Mouse Parents. Gorgeous photos, lots of information on Maine and the recipes are awfully excellent too

  • Cooking Down East by Marjorie Standish - a classic Maine cookbook

  • Cold-Weather Cooking by Sarah Leah Chase - famous Nantucket restauranteur/chef

  • The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith - no-nonsense, tasty and cost-minded

  • The Daily Soup Cookbook by Leslie Kaul, Bob Spiegel, et al. - I went through a soup phase a couple of winters ago and used this book a lot

  • James McNair's New Pizza - because sometimes you want something besides pepperoni


3 comments:

  1. "Cooking Down East" is where the whoopie pie recipe I use comes from. It's the one Mom used and they are awesome. They were a huge hit at the very interesting pool party we went to last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marjorie Standish rules, no doubt. I don't know what's better: the good, honest food that comes out of the recipes, or the way she wrote them that just SOUNDS like an old lady Mainer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My local library has the New Pizza book. We live on pizza in my house so I'll be giving this a whirl. I used to watch the Frugal Gourmet, never thought to get his book tho.

    ReplyDelete