Monday, June 30, 2008

Moratorium on zombie posts (after this one)

Okay. Even I’ve had about enough of the zombies by now. I promise that after this post I will not put up any zombie-posts for a month. That being said, read on, zombie-lovers, read on:

28 Weeks Later - Technically not a zombie movie, I know, but close enough for govmint work. I watched this last night, partially through my fingers because jump-scares are what really scare me - until I realized that I’d already taken out my contacts and could just peek over my glasses for insta-blur-vision for the jumpy bits. I liked it but I think I liked the original better, mostly because 28 Days Later was the first: I’d never seen such fast-moving rage-infected craziness before and it blew my mind (kind of like how the SFX in The Matrix were SO cool but kind of lost their magic in the sequels). I also preferred the intimacy of 28DL although I did appreciate the claustrophobia of the crowd scenes in 28WL. Some stuff was pretty obvious: when Scarlet tells cutie-pie sniper Doyle that the kids’ lives are worth more than either of theirs, you just know those soldiers ain’t making it out alive. But I thought Doyle had great chemistry with pretty much everyone he came into contact with, so kudos to Jeremy Renner (a/k/a Penn from Angel S1E11) for that. Lastly, how do you suppose the pitch to Robert Carlyle went? “Hey, Robert – I know you’ve been a Bond villain and all, but your résumé has been sort of quiet lately so do you want to have a few lines in which you abandon your wife to a fate worse than death like a total chickenshit bastard, and then spend the rest of the movie screaming, running around bleeding out the eyes and ripping people’s throats out with your teeth? Yeah? Cool.”

Finally, I heard that zombie kickball was a staggering success (I got caught up in something else and didn’t go, and am now regretting it to no end). Friends of the blog HB and RobZombie did attend – very gruesome, guys!


3 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of the moratoreum on Zombies you've imposed. I figured by now there'd be a review of Zombie Strippers. What gives?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just for a month - I've got so much other stuff to watch! That being said ... there is such a movie as Zombie Strippers? I had no idea, still being a zombie-newbie and all. I may have to make a moratorium exception - it sounds like it could be fabulous (in an awful kind of way).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sweet that you put us on your blog! The organizer of the event said that they will have two upcoming events closer to September: Zombie Scavenger Hunt and Zombie capture the flag. We will let you know about those and we can all go together! Zombie Kickball was a blasty-blast!

    ReplyDelete