Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Tenth Annual FMS Scarelicious October Movie Series: #1 Us

Welcome back to the Tenth Annual Friend Mouse Speaks Scarelicious October Movie Series!  Also known as: the only time I post on this poor, neglected blog anymore.  I watched a record twenty-two scary (or, "scary") movies last October ... let's see how many I manage this year.

Jordan Peele bowled us all over with his intelligent horror movie Get Out in 2017, so his second scary movie, Us, was highly anticipated.  Headlined by Lupita Nyong'o, Winston Duke and Elizabeth Moss - with a tour de force performance by Nyong'o - I must admit I was left feeling a little meh after this one.

It all starts back in 1986, on a delightfully creepy boardwalk and a spooky, vision-quest-y fun house - what exactly did young Adelaide see in there?  Then we're bounced back to present day, with grown-up Adelaide and her family arriving at their Santa Cruz beach house.  Before they can even get unpacked, they're being menaced by a family of violent, feral dopplegangers.  Not only that, everyone in town is being menaced by their own doppelgangers.  Adelaide and her family have to find a way to fight back and survive, and hopefully get out of town alive.

Although Nyong'o is terrific in her role(s), this movie didn't do much for me.  I thought the Big Twist was totally telegraphed and I lost interest for a while in the middle.  I feel like Peele was trying to make some big statements about American society like he did in Get Out, but I didn't find Us to be as effective in communicating them.  Or maybe I just don't much like home invasion movies (I don't).

Image result for us movie

No comments:

Post a Comment