Saturday, December 24, 2011

Mini movie review: Horrible Bosses

As you know, I am constantly looking for movies that both Mr. Mouse and I enjoy.  And by "constantly" I mean "every now and again when Mr. Mouse demands that I rent something other than horror or fantasy or science fiction."  I know that he likes dumb comedies, like 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman and The Hangover; I know he likes 90 minute movies; and I also know that he likes Jennifer Aniston.  So I got us Horrible Bosses, which pretty much hits all three categories.

The plot is not particularly complicated.  Three friends - Jason Bateman, Jason Sudeikis and Charlie Day - are plagued by evil, nasty, horrible bosses at their respective jobs.  After all but promising Bateman a promotion, and subjecting him to terrible head games, Kevin Spacey snatches said promotion away at the last minute, pocketing the money and humiliating him in front of the company.  When the affable owner of the chemical company at which Sudeikis works dies, his idiot cokehead son, Colin Farrell in a prosthetic comb-over, takes over, threatening to run the company into the ground and liquidate all its assets to fund his various vices.  Dental assistant Day is subjected to overt sexual harassment by his hot and horny dentist boss, Jennifer Aniston; his friends don't think he has much of a problem really, because they've seen what she looks like, but her behavior is pretty appalling.  When the guys have had all they can take, they hire ex-con Jamie Foxx to teach them how to kill the bosses.

The best part of this movie is the bosses, each actor chewing the scenery like crazy and clearly enjoying themselves.  Farrell, who gets the least screen time, is pretty funny - ignorant, brash, homely as hell.  Aniston is fun too: talking wicked dirty and cussing up a storm, getting nearly (but not quite) naked.  I think Mr. Mouse enjoyed her scenes.  I found Charlie Day's character extremely funny for some reason, although I don't usually like such shrill performances.  I don't know if it was the lines or his delivery, but he made me laugh out loud quite a lot; I may have to check out Always Sunny in Philadelphia to see if he holds up.

Horrible Bosses is not fantastic cinema, but it's short (97 minutes) and entertaining enough.  You could certainly do worse, if you're in the mood for a dumb R-rated comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment