Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mini book review: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Yeah, okay, I read it.  And while I didn't hate it, I truly don't see what the big deal is.  I mean, it can't hold a candle to The Hunger Games.  It's a love story, more than anything, which I find boring.  Edward as a vampire is interesting enough and dangerous enough - except for the fact that he friggin' SPARKLES and since when do vampires play baseball? - but the main flaw in this book is the heroine.  Bella is just such a doormat.  She has no personality except to moon over Edward and by the middle of the book, he is her total reason for existence.  She's supposedly beautiful and smart, and her uber-clumsiness is obviously meant to give her some character (but it's just completely stupid and unbelievable), but there's nothing to her.  As a character she is so uninteresting that I find it extremely difficult to believe that Edward would find her at all interesting, regardless of how yummy she smells.

I guess after my regular diet of Buffy Summers and Katniss Everdeen and Flora Segunda and Clary Whatshername and Dorothy Gale and all those other urban fantasy/horror heroines who actually think for themselves and make decisions and act on their own behalf have ruined me, because I find Bella Swan just so boring.

And did I mention the vampires SPARKLE?  I call bullshit on that too.  Now I'm going to have to see the goddamn movie to see how that comes off.  Grrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment