Sunday, February 24, 2008

Movie review: Smokin' Aces

I can't believe Mr. Mouse and I just wasted two hours of our lives on this movie, although I guess it could have been worse - I could have paid for a movie ticket. I don't know: big, loud, violent, complicated where it didn't need to be, funny at the beginning and dark-dark-dark at the end - this movie just didn't have a focus. I thought I'd read good things about it but I guess I either misremembered what I'd read or else need to find something else to read. Smokin' Aces: this mouse is not a fan.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mouse, have you seen Breaking Bad? Cameron and I watched the first episode and loved it, but then we stopped mid-way through episode 2 because it got so dark and grusome. It's an interesting show though. I had to watch some QVC after episode 2 to cleanse my brain so I wouldn't think about it. Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it but have seen a couple of reviews that liked it a lot, saying you can hardly recognize Malcolm in the Middle's dad! Heh: QVC. Bought any new Diamonique lately?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was violent, I can see how that might upset the mouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, I do like violent movies (Reservoir Dogs, The Descent, Braveheart, Sweeney Todd, zombies and werewolves and vampires, oh my!). I think my issue with the violence in Smoking Aces was just that the movie really didn't know what it was. It started as though it was poking fun at all these hitman movie cliches - killing Ben Affleck right off is funny! Then it changed, with the weird not as funny neo-Nazi imbecile brothers and their chainsawing people into pieces. And then it changed again, and became dark and tormented and decidedly UNfunny at the end as Ryan Reynolds loses his mind over the government conspiracy. I can take over the top gore and violence but I need to know that's what I'm in for. Smoking Aces just had too much of an identity crisis to make any sense for me.

    ReplyDelete