Monday, February 5, 2018

Sundry, various

January has been a little zoo-ey in the Mouse House and while I've needed to distract myself with sci-fi/fantasy-based movies and t.v., I just haven't been able to bring myself to write about them.  Here are snippets of what I've been consuming:

The End of the Fucking World - I didn't fully binge this one but I cruised through it two or three episodes at a time.  I thought it was fantastic and I hope they don't spoil the ambiguous ending by adding a second season.  What there is now is enough.  A little bit road trip movie, a little bit YA romance, a little bit gory and murdery, this is a weird one and I liked it.

Black Mirror S4 - The latest installment of Black Mirror episodes is a mixed bag, with some very strong ("USS Callister" and "Hang the DJ") and some very much less so ("Black Museum," I'm looking at you).  Still, I'm a fan of anthology series and am generally game for whatever Black Mirror wants to offer up.

Timecrimes (Los Cronocrimenes) - I watched Timecrimes (in Spanish, with English subtitles) because it's by the same director as Colossal, which I so liked.  It's a twisty, turny time-travel story about a middle-aged Spanish man who suddenly finds himself being chased by a man with a bag over his head.  I'm not telling you more than that.  Roger Ebert really liked it; I thought it was okay but realized that it's not the best idea to watch subtitled films if you keep dozing off - difficult to keep up with what's going on.

I'm also plowing through the DVR (the CW's superhero shows, SyFy's Happy! and The Magicians, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and The Good Place), most of which are making me happy to some degree.  What are you watching these days?


No comments:

Post a Comment