Friday, November 3, 2017

Mini movie review: The Purge: Anarchy

After watching the first Purge movie back in October, I was fairly convinced that this series didn't qualify for horror movie status.  But I wanted to be thorough in my research and watched the second one, The Purge: Anarchy and yes, I can reiterate that I do not consider the Purge series to be horror flicks but tense action/thrillers instead.  No sense letting a quickie movie review go to waste, however!

Once again, it is the near future in the U.S.A. and time for the annual Purge wherein poor and brown Americans are disproportionately killed off, thus keeping the power in the hands of the rich white folks.  From out of this horrible night emerges a hero - played with a steel jaw by Frank Grillo - who ignores the unwritten rule that you are not supposed to save lives, only take them.  The twelve hours of the Purge become a cat and mouse game of trying to stay alive.

This movie is violent and has a horrible concept but it ain't horror.  It is compelling enough that I'll probably see the next installment as well, as from what I've ready the series gets better as it goes.  Plus, more Frank Grillo!

Image result for purge anarchy

No comments:

Post a Comment