Thursday, December 5, 2013

No ranting necessary

I do pretty well picking out books to read.  I prefer fiction for the most part, with strong tendencies towards fantasy, historical fiction, horror and British mysteries, although I like it when folks recommend things to me outside my regular bailiwick (Bob Harris's Prisoner of Trebekistan was a successful foray into non-fiction, as well as Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals).

I do end up with books that I like less well - Stephen King's Doctor Sleep was a recent disappointment - but I rarely end up with something I hate.  It does happen sometimes: I despised The Mermaid Chair (raging review here) and Twilight, ugh, don't even get me started on stupid fucking Twilight.

I bring all this up because despite its recent popularity (and resurgence with news of casting for the movie), I had never read Fifty Shades of Grey and thank god, now I never will.  Instead, I am greatly enjoying the "Summarized by a Smartass" posts over at Electronic Cerebrectomy, where SamuraiFrog is martyring himself by reading FSoG and recapping/analyzing each chapter in horrific, excruciating detail.  The man is truly taking one for the team and his posts are scathing, funny and insightful.  (He also did the same treatment for Twilight.)  Fifty Shades of Grey sounds absolutely terrible and I truly appreciate the suffering he is enduring so that I don't have to read it myself.


1 comment:

  1. FSoG could be a Pulitzer winner, but after my sister offered to lend her copy to Tara, neither of us can even look at it. Not that I'd ever read it anyways, but that was the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete