Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mini book review: Out of Sight by Elmore Leonard

Whilst on a recent vacation trip with my family, I swiped Elmore Leonard's Out of Sight from my dad once he had finished reading it.  I'd seen the George Clooney/Jennifer Lopez movie quite some time ago but had never read the book - hell, I don't think I've ever read any Elmore Leonard before, although I do tend to enjoy the movie/television adaptations of his work (love Justified!!!).  Someone who has read more of his stuff should tell me: how does Out of Sight stack up with his other books?

It took me a while to get into the rhythms of his writing and the dialogue, and the prose is a little too spare for my taste (I like words and lots of them, a la Stephen King, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, etc.).  I also had some trouble keeping the scenes from the movie out of my head while reading and may need to see the film again to see how it compares.  In a nutshell, Out of Sight is a quick read, an efficient little caper novel, but it didn't make me want to run right out and pick up another Elmore Leonard right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment