Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Why I'm giving up on Ringer before it even has a chance to get better

I'm a Buffy the Vampire Slayer fan (duh).  I was sad when the show ended, although the seven seasons of DVDs (plus five of Angel) keep me in good company should I get the craving.  I very much liked Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy - bought into it all the way, even when the character got preachy and speechy in S7.  I'm not entirely convinced that SMG is all that great an actor, however (see any time Buffy is supposed to laugh, for example), and her brand new show, Ringer, isn't doing her any favors.  Or at least the pilot didn't, and that's all I'm going to officially watch - we need the room in the DVR.  I thought Ringer's first episode was slow, the visual effects pretty bad - that boat scene?  made the Doublemeat Palace head-snake demon look like extra fancy SFX - and SMG didn't bring enough difference to the twins she plays when both were in the same scene.  Pluswhich, during the scene in the loft where the masked man was attacking her, I kept thinking, "Why is she running away?  Why isn't she kicking him in the head?  Buffy would."  Sorry, Ringer, wrong number.

No comments:

Post a Comment