Thursday, June 9, 2011

Mini book review: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith

I love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice is my favorite of her books.  I love zombies.  It would stand to reason that these would be two great tastes that taste great together (now I want a peanut butter cup - rats) ... did I love Pride and Prejudice and Zombies?  Not so much.

I think the problem is that Austen's original is just so sharp and clever and funny and on the nose, and Grahame-Smith not only didn't add to that, but he subtracted some of it as well when he inserted his zombies.  It wasn't funny anymore.  Plus, when he added in the zombie bits, he tried to stylize it to Austen's era, so the zombies weren't scary.  Before I started reading this book, I never would have imagined that Jane Austen + zombies would = tedious.  But that's what it was: tedious.  I had to make myself slog through the novel to the end.

Do yourselves a favor: read the original Pride and Prejudice and then watch George Romero's Night of the Living Dead (or Shaun of the Dead if you want to stick with the British theme).  That'll be a much more satisfactory way to get your Austen/zombie fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment