Sunday, July 22, 2007

Top Ten Cover Songs on my iPod

If you were to take a scroll through my iPod (that is, if I were to let go of it long enough for you to do so), you would almost immediately see that I am an '80s and '90s kind of person. Sure, there's both newer and older stuff in there too, but I am predominantly stuck in a retro sort of place. I'm fine with that.

One little subgenre for which I've discovered an affinity are cover songs, with some partiality for modern bands covering songs from the 1980s. My Top 10 are listed below, in alphabetical-by-band order.
  • Smooth Criminal covered by Alien Ant Farm
  • I Will Survive covered by Cake
  • Sweet Jane covered by the Cowboy Junkies
  • Land of Confusion covered by Disturbed
  • Shout covered by Disturbed
  • Suspicious Minds covered by Fine Young Cannibals
  • Word Up! covered by Korn
  • Oops! I Did It Again covered by Richard Thompson
  • Dear Prudence covered by Siouxsie and the Banshees
  • I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself covered by the White Stripes

My current favorite is the Richard Thompson - you gotta love a folk god covering Britney Spears. Runner-up is Word Up! (best played really, really loudly). If anyone has other good cover song suggestions, I'm interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment