Thursday, October 18, 2007

Why I spend so much time indoors

As we were eating dinner last night in front of the TV (how gauche, I know), we came across Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I love that movie. It was one of the first movies Mr. Mouse and I saw together when we were dating (Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman was our official first movie together). Last night, however, as we found LSaTSB two-thirds of the way through, Mr. Mouse thought I needed reminding about the various complicated plot elements. I let him hold forth for a little while, and then pointed out that I didn’t really need the refresher: after all, we do own the DVD and have watched it numerous times.

Apparently I struck a bit of a nerve, as Mr. Mouse replied, “Well, how am I to remember that? You haven’t written about it on your blog, and I thought your blog was the be-all and end-all of all your pop culture knowledge.” (Or something along those lines.) When I said that I couldn’t possibly write about ALL the movies I’ve ever watched, he just rolled his eyes and we settled back into the end of the movie.

Now, if my rate of movie consumption was the same as Mr. Mouse’s then, yes, I probably could write something about every film I’ve ever seen. But then I wouldn’t have this blog because I wouldn’t be watching very many movies, and where’s the fun in that? I got to thinking about all the movies I have watched, and how I could best attempt to recount them. There’s really no way to do it, of course, but I did manage to make some lists. Here’s one: What have I rented from Blockbuster Online since I signed up three years ago. (Note: when I checked my rental history, it only lists back to May 2006, so I’m missing some - rats. This is a fairly good representation/reconstruction, however.)

Movies: Brick, Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny, Clerks II, Crank, Layer Cake, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Smokey and the Bandit, Touching the Void, Slither, Waiting, Mad Hot Ballroom, You Can Count On Me, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Titan A.E., Hellboy, Team America: World Police, Aeon Flux (live action), Fantastic Four, March of the Penguins, Blue Crush, Dreamcatcher, Electra, that crossword puzzle documentary, Finding Neverland, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., Fight Club, Seabiscuit, Hero, House of Flying Daggers, The Station Agent, Underworld, Van Helsing, Donnie Darko, The Wiz, The Italian Job (the original and the remake), Miracle, School of Rock, Murderball, Empire Falls, Tim Burton’s Corpse Bride, Bend It Like Beckham, Garden State, Kingdom of Heaven, The 40-Year Old Virgin, Open Range, Sky High, Chicago, Elf, Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, I Capture the Castle, Shark Tale, Mean Girls, Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, Super Size Me, Anchorman, Starsky & Hutch, Reefer Madness, The Village, The Ice Harvest, Alexander, I Heart Huckabees, The Life Aquatic, Pretty Persuasion.

Television: The X-Files Seasons 2-5, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me Seasons 1-2, Arrested Development Seasons 1-3, Rome Season 1, Curb Your Enthusiasm Season 1, Carnivale Seasons 1-2, Weeds Season 1, Lost Season 2, Veronica Mars Seasons 1-2, Entourage Season 1 (did not finish), Alias Seasons 1-3, Deadwood Seasons 1-2, Battlestar Galactica Seasons 1-2.5, Freaks and Geeks Season 1, Aeon Flux (the animated series), Tru Calling Seasons 1-2, Stephen King’s Kingdom Hospital.

Next up in my queue: the Grindhouse double feature, Hot Fuzz, The Sopranos Season 6 and the final season of Deadwood.

If there's anything listed that you'd like some commentary on, let me know. I'll be more than happy to root around in my brain and come up with something for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment