Friday, October 19, 2007

Raining again! Whatever shall I do?

In my last post I ran through the list of fairly recently rented movies I've seen. This post's list is a little more personal: the list of movies owned by the Mouses. As you will see, we have a defininte penchant for specific genres; additionally, there are some genres that will never grace my collection (you hear me, chick-flicks? don't even try!). I'm pretty tight when it comes to spending my hard-earned money and so every movie that has made it into our home collection is one that means something to at least one of us.

  • Ocean's 11 - Clooney/Pitt version. The cast is clearly having such a good time in this film that it makes it more fun for the viewer. Did you notice that Brad is eating something in almost every scene? The filmmakers mess up with the shrimp cocktail bowl, though.
  • Fargo - McDormand, Macy and Buscemi - how can you go wrong? Plus, they chip a guy - brilliant!
  • Shaun of the Dead - This has exactly the right mixture of British funny and zombie scary. I love that you can scarcely tell the zombies from the regular folks just standing on queue.
  • Serenity - I'll admit that you have to be a Firefly fan(atic) to fully appreciate this movie, but even so, Joss Whedon and the Firefly cast serve up a dang good sci-fi flick. I saw this twice in the (mostly empty) theater when it came out.
  • Heathers - Sick, twisted and so damn funny. Hugely quotable.
  • Clerks - see Heathers above. Randall gets all the best lines.
  • Wedding Crashers - I love-love-love Owen Wilson. Also, funny and a little twisted.
  • Office Space - Mr. Mouse identifies closely with the heroes of this movie. I think the first half of the movie is hilarious, but that it starts to drag when they get outside their cubicles.
  • Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels - When I saw this in the theater, I'm fairly certain I only understood two out of every five words because of the accents. I'm definitely certain that I thought Guy Ritchie was a genius by the end of it, however.
  • Snatch - Even more fun than LSaTSB. And they solved the accent problem by adding subtitles on the DVD ... for Brad Pitt's lines only.
  • Princess Bride - One of the best movies ever. There's romance, murder, piracy, sword-fighting, a skinny Mandy Patinkin and Rodents Of Unusual Size.
  • Blazing Saddles - Mr. Mouse loves this movie. I haven't watched it for a gajillion years myself but I'm pretty sure it's a classic for good reason. If it keeps raining, I'm guessing I'll get to see it again soon.
  • Caddyshack - Two of my college friends spent their senior year watching some portion - or all, if possible - of Caddyshack every day. That may be a little much, but I think Bill Murray is hysterical (but probably not sober) here. Plus I like to dance like the gopher when I hear that damn song.
  • Best In Show - Pure genius. Anyone who owns a dog or who has ever watched even a smidgen of Westminster Dog Show must see this.
  • This Is Spinal Tap - This was the first mockumentary I'd ever seen and I thought it was the funniest thing ever. Little teeny Stonehenge!
  • A Mighty Wind - We bought this right after we bought Best In Show. I don't think it's as good as BIS, but the songs are amazingly good and it just kills me that there's no script for these movies.
  • Dodgeball - Ben Stiller gives me major television-embarrassment here. But the Average Joes are an underdog for the masses.
  • What About Bob? - Another one of Mr. Mouse's favorites. I'm not a huge Richard Dreyfus fan but it's fun to watch him fall apart bit by bit. And again, Bill Murray.
  • Silverado - One of my all-time favorites. A great Western, made in the '80s when no-one was making Westerns, with an incredible cast: Scott Glenn, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, a babyfaced Kevin Costner, Jeff Goldblum, Linda Hunt, John Cleese and Brian Dennehy (they should have just cut Roseanna Arquette's part entirely). There's no mistaking who's the good guys and who's the bad guys here.
  • West Side Story - Everyone needs to have a musical. Can't go wrong with this one.
  • Reservoir Dogs - Everyone called Tarantino a genius when this movie came out. He's perhaps slipped a little in recent years, but this one's a doozie. Terribly violent (Mr. Mouse doesn't like all the blood) with incredibly paced dialogue.
  • Napolean Dynamite - I didn't really care for this the first time I saw it. Suffice it to say that it's grown on me quite a lot.

What movies are in your own collection? Which ones are your favorites that you watch over and over again? I'd love to hear what the rest of you love watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment