Friday, October 1, 2021

Twelfth Annual Friend Mouse Speaks Scarelicious October Movie Series: #1 IT: Chapter Two

 Like a zombie clawing its way out of its grave, this seemingly abandoned blog has been resurrected, just in time for spooky season*.  These last eighteen months have been difficult (for every person on this planet) and although I've consumed a massive amount of media, I just haven't had the capacity to share it here.  I just couldn't do it.  What's more, I barely remember what I read/watched: a lot of urban fantasy, science fiction and swords-and-sandals fantasy books and a lot of streamed t.v. - but what was it?  The Good Place, Schitt's Creek, Trailer Park Boys, Teen Wolf, Reservation DogsThe 100 (almost done), Lucifer, The Great British Baking Show, as much Drag Race as I could find, some The Witcher, a total rewatch (again) of Angel ... I wish I'd kept a list because everything else just went right out of my brain as soon as I finished it.

Mmmm.  Brains.  Let's watch some horror flicks - it is October, after all.

For this TWELFTH series, I started with IT: Chapter Two, finishing off what I started back in 2018 with Chapter One.  Maybe I'm feeling nostalgic, but this new remake just didn't measure up to the 1990 miniseries.  Sure, Chapter Two has a good cast (Jessica Chastain, James McAvoy, Bill Hader - who stole the show) but the younger actors were more fully realized iterations of the characters and the 1990 actors felt closer to the book too.  This adult Eddie was played way too belligerent for the book's character; the adult Ben just felt off, and was barely a person; the younger Bev was way more badass than Chastain's.  Bill Hader, though - wicked funny.

Other random thoughts (because everyone knows the story and has either read the book, seen the 1990 miniseries or watched this two-parter, so I'm not going to recap): Stuttering Bill has a very excellent vintage Schwinn bicycle that I loved, although I got mad at how he was throwing it around.  And SPOILER SPOILER they defeat Pennywise by calling it a bully to its face? WTF?  I get that biting down on the metaphysical tongue of a cosmic turtle was going to be tough to pull off - but CHASTISING the big bad to make it go away?  You have got to be kidding me.

Final verdict: IT: Chapter Two is not actually scary.  A solid meh, if ever there was one.


*  I hate that term.  Like, really a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment