Monday, October 19, 2020

Eleventh Annual FMS Scarelicious October Movie Series: #9 Lake Mungo

 I will admit to having a little difficulty finding horror movies I want to watch.  Either they're too long for when I get around to starting them (Midsommar and Suspiria clocking in at over two hours which is too much on a school night when I'm starting at 9:30) or they're just not my preference: I like space horror, monster movies (vampires, zombies, werewolves, slugs, etc.), 1980s slashers, practical effects (a la Evil Dead and old school Peter Jackson) and movies that don't rely on jump scares.  I could use some recommendations, y'all!  I can't possibly have watched ALL of them.  Also, they need to be streaming for free on Netflix, Hulu, Prime or imdb.tv - I'm not paying any more than I already am.

All of that is to say that I settled on Lake Mungo, an Australian movie about which I knew nothing but which was around 90 minutes long so I figured I could get through whatever it turned out to be.  I was hoping for giant mutant Aussie crocodiles but instead I got a slow-burn ghost story.  I've done worse.

Alice Palmer drowns while at a lake with her family.  Nothing strange happened: she drowned, her body was eventually found and her family buried her and grieved.  Some time later, mysterious figures start showing up in photographs and home security footage: Alice's ghost is haunting her family.  But closer perusal of some of the video show a neighbor lurking in the dead girl's bedroom; a search of her room turns up a diary and a sex tape.  Alice had secrets that none of her friends or family knew - her uneasy ghost wants to set things straight.

This is a well-done, believable, documentary-style flick, but it was very, very slow, focusing more on the family's grief than anything truly scary.  I found it to be a creepy-ish ghost story that mostly left me cold but didn't leave me wishing I hadn't watched it.



No comments:

Post a Comment