Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Books, excuses, whatever

My apologies for the abrupt drop-off in posting: Mr. Mouse and I had to go out of town to a party and then to a wedding and we're only now just getting back into things.  I have more T:TSCC disks ready to watch - just need the time to do it.  I've been reading stuff too: I reread American Gods by Neil Gaiman on our travels - I adore that book and this time, since I bought it and don't have to return it to the library, I'm going to get online and start looking up all the gods and mythologies that I don't know, like Czernobog and Bielebog and Wisakedjak and Bilquis, just to namedrop a few.  I'm also re-reading Watership Down, which is one of my all-time favorite books ever.  I've got a new fantasy novel that I've just started and picked up two more at the library today, so things are moving right along.

I also recently finished Throne of the Crescent Moon, by Saladin Ahmed, which I read about on NPR.  They quite liked it; me, less so.  I liked the new world-building, the writing and story are fine, the characters are intriguing enough.  I just thought it should be funnier, or less funny maybe - it had some tonal issues.  Also, I didn't feel like I was able to connect with the characters very easily, probably because different chapters were written from the POV of different characters, but some characters got more chapters than others.  Martin can do it with his Song of Ice and Fire series because there's like 8 million pages in all those books, but in this 274-page novel some characters got short-changed.  This looks to be the first of a series, though, so maybe more time spent with these folks will help things along.

No comments:

Post a Comment