Monday, August 8, 2016

Embarrassment of riches

Preacher may be over for now but I am having no trouble putting off the watching and recapping of the final True Blood season as there is such a wealth of good television out there - just mostly not on, you know, television.  Besides Mr. Robot (which, forgive me, I keep falling asleep during), I've watched the BBC's incredible 2015 And Then There Were None.  With a stacked cast, including Charles Dance, Miranda Richardson and Sam Neill, this version of the darkest of Agatha Christie's tales is marvelously well acted, suspenseful, bloody and funny.  Highly recommended.

Also highly recommended:  Stranger Things, of course.  The full-on 80s nostalgia, the homages to some of my very favorite movies, the perfect cast, the fact that I had to watch a scene or two through my fingers ... this has got to be one of the best things Netflix has ever done, and ranks way up there as far as any excellent episodic television goes.  Unless you're living under a rock, you've probably already watched it.

Finally, I am tearing through the CW's Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix just as fast as I can.  This show is so smart, so funny, so uncomfortable and so honest about its exploration of mental illness (the main character is a stalker who suffers from anxiety and depression) that I can scarcely believe that it is on the CW.  Plus it's a musical comedy and the original songs are fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment