Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Third Annual FMS Scarelicious October Movie Series is nearly upon us!

That's right, everyone: it's October and that means it's time for the Third Annual FMS Scarelicious October Movie Series!  The first movie is one for all the fellas: Teeth, a modern riff on the vagina dentata myth.  I'm watching it tonight so look for a post in the next day or so.

Mr. Mouse's parents are coming to visit in a couple of days so we may be getting off to a slow start for the TAFMSSOMS (I'm fairly certain that my in-laws are not big horror movie fans) but I'll crank 'em out as fast as I can.  Also, my Blockbuster.com DVD distribution center has moved from SLC to Denver which means that the DVD delivery is a little slower than I'd like.  Yes, I still rent DVDs.  No, I don't stream Netflix.  Yes, I'm a Luddite - I even still read books with paper pages.

Speaking of books with paper pages, I just finished 20th Century Ghosts, a collection of horror short stories by Joe Hill, also known as Stephen King's son.  I really enjoyed them: Hill is a good writer, intelligent but accessible, not overtelling things, with a voice that is reminiscent of his father's but still his own.  I have always loved Stephen King's short stories; I was pleased to discover that it runs in the family.  The collection is not just straight horror tales but also some dark fantasy, a sweet baseball story, some dreamy stuff, some creepy stuff, some nightmares.  My favorites were "Pop Art" and "Voluntary Committal."  Read them and figure out which ones you like best.

No comments:

Post a Comment