Friday, May 7, 2010

Mini movie review: Observe and Report

Just this moment got done watching Observe and Report and ... meh.  What an uneven movie - I felt as though it had no idea what it wanted to be.  Some parts were funny but most others were too mean-spirited to be funny, and yet it was, in parts, intentionally too goofy to be a serious twisted satire.  Mr. Mouse - who stayed awake for the whole thing, having seen it before - kept telling me how dark and twisted it was.  Well, Heathers is pretty friggin' dark and twisted, and yet knows exactly what it's doing the whole way through.  I liked seeing Seth Rogen stretch his acting chops a little out of the schlumpy Judd Apatow roles he's mostly had; I also liked seeing him slimmed down a bit - a precursor to his skinny new physique for Green Hornet or Green Lantern or whatever superhero origin flick he's doing.  And I do enjoy Anna Faris, although her character wasn't the slightest bit sympathetic.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to what comes next in my movie queue.  Don't have a clue what it is, but I'm looking forward to it.  Also, I may have to watch Heathers again soon.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly. I was happy Rogen wasn't playing Rogen for a change, but the movie on the whole is very uneven. I like Jody Hill's comedy. (Eastbound & Down S1 is vulgar, but very enjoyable. It's also only 6 eps, btw). I feel like he's got potential, but he hasn't learned to harness it.

    We find ourselves laughing at the funny parts we remember, but we haven't seen it again, b/c we know there's a lot of slowness to muddle thru.

    ReplyDelete