Sunday, April 26, 2009

Gossipy girls

I have to confess something to you: I have become completely addicted to Gossip Girl. I know, I'm such a genre-queen and yet something about this frothy, over-the-top, ludicrous bitchfest of a show has captured both my attention and my heart. (For those of you living under a rock, GG is about uber-wealthy Upper East Side high school kids, their complete lack of parental supervision and their access to all things expensive). I just can't resist rich, beautiful people being nasty to one another.

Ooh, an inelegant but appropriate segue! I also watched The Women recently. No, not the by-all-accounts-gawdawful 2008 remake, but the original 1939 film starring screen goddesses Norma Shearer, Joan Crawford, Rosalind Russell et al. Based on the Clare Booth Luce play, this classic movie is about a group of wealthy NYC society women who do nothing but shop, go to the spa, gossip about each other and steal each other's husbands. Totally original recipe Gossip Girl. Not a single man appears in the movie eve though the less fair sex are what motivates the characters - this movie is all women, all the time. And such women! Gorgeous fast-talking creatures, constantly dressed in divine couture ... the whole thing is simply fabulous. Norma Shearer even wears a fur coat to walk from her bathroom to her bed. At the end, Joan Crawford gets the best exit line: "By the way, there's a name for you ladies, but it isn't used in high society - outside of a kennel." Mee-ow!

You know you love me. xoxoFM

No comments:

Post a Comment