Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fables: Animal Farm

This book holds the second story arc in Bill Willingham's Fables series: the Farm Fables, who cannot pass for human, are mad as hell at being stuck out in the middle of nowhere and are not going to take it anymore. Led by Goldilocks (who can actually pass for human but chooses to stay nearby her Three Bears ... and who may be sleeping with Baby Bear, I'm not sure) and two of the Three Little Pigs, these Fables are planning a rebellion to retake their Homelands, and perhaps knock off a few of the leading Fable politicos in the process. It's up to Snow White, Deputy Mayor of Fabletown, her sister Rose Red, and the sassy fox, Reynard, to put things right.

Whatever I said here about the illustrations, etc., ditto. Plus, the sheer numbers of recognizable characters this time is amazing: Puss-in-Boots; the Walrus (but not the Carpenter) and the Playing Card Soldiers from the Red Queen's Court; Brer Fox and Brer Rabbit; Chicken Little; the Tortoise and the Hare; Shere Khan, Bagheera, Kaa and King Louie; the Three Blind Mice (who pop up in nearly every panel); the Old Woman in the Shoe and all her attendant Children; Cock Robin; Tom Thumb and Thumbelina; Badger, Toad and Mole (from Wind in the Willows); and the Billy Goats Gruff ... those are just the ones I could identify. There's dozens more. So cool.

Willingham and his team are either huge faerie tale fans or really, really thorough in their research. I am just in awe of these books. The only problem I have with them is that I only bought the two and it's going to be a while before I can go get more.

P.S. I'm not sure how much I'm going to be able to post in the next week or so due to over scheduling of my precious free time, but I'll do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment