Saturday, May 23, 2009

I don't know what it's called, but I like it

It has been unseasonably hot here these last couple of days - like 88+ degrees Fahrenheit (friggin' Maine: 50 one day and 90 the next) - so I have busted out a brand new summertime drink recipe, just in time for the long holiday weekend. As you may have guessed from this post's title, I don't know what to call it, but it's tasty and was discovered by my gorgeous friend LyndaLove way out there in Arizona; either she had one herself or it's a signature drink made by the Iron Chef she recently met ... I disremember which. (How cool to meet an Iron Chef, btw?)

Tear up a basil leaf and muddle with lemongrass simple syrup* in a highball (or pint, I like my drinks in pints) glass. Add ice, then vodka and grapefruit juice. Stir and enjoy.

It's like a Greyhound, only the basil/lemongrass mixture takes the bitter edge of the grapefruit juice and adds a whole 'nother dimension to the drink. Very, very nice.

* Simple syrup = 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water; boiled 'til sugar dissolves. Nice to use for mixed drinks or iced coffee/tea because the sugar is dissolved already. To add the lemongrass component, I just dropped a bunch of chopped up lemongrass into the sugar and water when I put it on to boil. Easy-peasy.

3 comments:

  1. Us folks in Arizona have plenty of time to work on good hot weather drinks. :) I saw it was 87 or so yesterday in Portland. Phoenix maxed out at 80. I thought I misread the Maine temps at first. That's insane for May. And without central air and with the humidity. Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was 100 degrees in SF last weekend. Last Sunday. Monday was grey and foggy and it's been like that since. We had to go to Marin today to find some sun to mountain bike in. (Yeah, I know, poor us.) That drink sounds divine. Have two for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we're back to overcast and high 50s, so all's right in the world, I guess. Seriously: how 'bout 70-75? What's so wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete