Friday, March 6, 2009

Titles Nine - #8 -- comics edition

In honor of the Watchmen movie opening today, I thought I'd give you my comics/graphic novel collection as the theme for Titles Nine. Only problem is that I've only got eight in my bookshelves. So the ninth is the comics series that is next on my list to read, and possibly collect, in my continuing quest to consume all things Gaiman.
  • Watchmen - Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. This book is just amazing, not only as a comic but also as an actual book. I'm only a slight fan, having read it through in its entirety twice and currently working my way back through for a third time.

  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Season 8 - Joss Whedon et al. What would have happened next.

  • Fray - Joss Whedon. As you might imagine, the future-Slayer kicks all kinds of ass.

  • Y: the Last Man - Brian K. Vaughan. What happens to the world when all the males of all the species die - except one man and his capuchin monkey? A damn good story, that's what happens.

  • Fables - Bill Willingham. My kind of comic: the main characters are taken from fairy tales and folklore, but reinterpreted to make sense in a modern world. Or, as much sense as fairy tale folks can make. Great stories and pretty pictures.

  • Mouse Guard Fall 1152 - David Petersen. I own the hardbound book (previously mentioned here) and am looking forward to the next one. Mice with swords!

  • 300 - Frank Miller. Saw the movie first and was then compelled to buy the book.

  • Maus: A Survivor's Tale - Art Spiegelman. A memoir of Spiegelman's father's struggles as a Polish Jew during the Holocaust. Jews are anthropomorphized mice, Germans are cats, etc. This was the first graphic novel I ever bought, years and years ago.

  • The Sandman - Neil Gaiman. Haven't read it yet, but I'm sure gonna.


4 comments:

  1. I own exactly one graphic novel: Watchmen. I did read the hard-bound Batman: The Dark Night Returns during one of Joe's New Year's as Sugarloaf. It's brilliant and you should really read it if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read and own nearly all of these! I can't say enough great things about Y (they'll wound me if they put Shia in the film as Yorick).

    Mouse Guard = awesome. I am awaiting my next issue of Winter 1152.

    I just finished Fables Vol 5 last week.

    I've never read Fray or Sandman, but they're on my list. I will have to add Maus, never heard of it.

    "And oh yeah, Dawn's a giant."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really have any casting in mind myself, but Shia would just not work. *shudders*

    Maus is a much more sobering book, what with being about the Holocaust and all, and the story and artwork are incredibly compelling.

    Just goes to show you should never bone a thricewise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this Y movie website idea I'd like to create..you know when I find an extra 2 hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete